According to the management principles that put the highest priority on the safety, health, and environment of humankind, Hankook Tire & Technology establishes an overall safety and health environment-oriented management system for the company, takes the initiative in implementing management activities for safety, health, and the environment throughout the entire process of the corporate activities and products, provides values and pleasure to its customers, and pursues safe and healthy lives.
To this end, we hereby take an oath to act as follows:
Safety, health and environment policy
- 1. We shall remove the risk factors through investment and operational improvement in safety, health, and the environment to reduce risks and protect the environment.
- 2. We shall provide safe and healthy working conditions to prevent work-related injuries and medical problems. We shall promote the efficient use and recycling of resources. Through these activities, we shall minimize the impact of our business activities on safety, health, and the environment.
- 3. To help our employees understand and continuously improve the safety, health, and environment management system, we shall provide education and competency improvement activities to our employees, and disclose our policies and management performance to stakeholders and communicate with them.
- 4. We shall establish and faithfully implement internal management standards that satisfy domestic and foreign laws and regulations as well as other requirements pertaining to safety, health, and the environment. Our employees shall evaluate the impact on safety, health, and the environment, and set and implement safety, health, and environment goals, to ensure continuous improvements.
Essential Health and Safety Principles
- 1. Associated organizations and reporting systems shall be responsible for the prevention and occurrence of accidents.
- 2. All employees shall be under the duty to work without causing any safety-related accidents to occur from their initial date of employment.
- 3. The company shall formulate and train all safety regulations and standards, which shall be strictly complied with by all employees.
- 4. All employees shall make an effort to discover potential risks in advance, and the company shall take action to make improvements.
- 5. The company shall continuously improve harmful risk factors to protect the safety and health of all employees, including those of its business partners.
- 6. Safety outside of working hours shall be equally considered as safety during working hours.
- 7. The company shall make efforts to develop the technology for optimal safety and health management.
- 8. The company shall advance its safety and health management system through continuous system improvement.
All employees shall comply with our policies on safety, health, and the environment publicly notified internally and externally, and fully discuss and take part in the management activities for safety, health, and the environment.
Detailed Safety and Health Policy
- 1. All directions and principles are applied to all workers, including not only company employees but also contractors, suppliers and others.
2. The company complies with safety and health related international standards, laws, internal regulations and organizational agreements.
The following are major internal regulations:
- The company shall provide suitable protective equipment, and employees are mandated to wear such protective equipment when engaging in work.
- Periodic emergency response training shall be conducted to ensure prompt response to emergency situations and fire.
- All safety instructions shall be complied with when operating hazardous and dangerous machines, equipment and chemicals.
- In the case of an accident, efforts, such as investigations according to the related procedures, to prevent recurrence shall be implemented.
- The company shall investigate hazards in works that load the musculoskeletal system to improve work method and work environment, and employees shall conduct work safely according to internal regulations.
- 3. To promote discussions and participations of workers and worker representatives in safety and health related issues, various communication channels, such as Occupational Safety and Health Committee and Safety and Health Consultative Group, shall be organized and operated.
- 4. All employees, including executives, shall endeavor in achieving continuous improvement in the Safety and Health Management System.
- 5. All risks within the worksite shall be managed through the Risk Assessment System, and related matters shall be improved by setting priorities and establishing implementation plans.
- 6. Quantitative objectives and implementation plans shall be established and operated to improve the safety and health performance indices.
- 7. The implementation of safety and health management policies shall be ensured through the SHE Committee supervised by the board of directors.
Environmental management policy
- <Environmental Management System>
- 1. Establish an “ESG Committee” under the board of directors to determine key issues related to environmental management policy implementation and environmental performance improvement
- 2. Discuss and decide on company-wide environmental management directions and issues with an “ESG Strategy Committee” composed of top management.
- <Environmental Objectives>
- 3. Set up environmental objectives to practice environmental management and strive to achieve them
- 4. In the product and service development stage, identify potential impacts on the environment throughout the life cycle of products and services and strive to improve them
- 5. Use sustainable raw materials, and develop and produce products that improve fuel efficiency / reduce noise / enhance durability in the product use phase
- 6. For the safe use of chemicals, review their environmental and health impacts, use them safely and dispose of them properly
- 7. Conduct environmental and sustainability assessments when contracting with suppliers and take these results into account when making purchasing decisions
- 8. Reduce the use of resources such as raw and subsidiary materials and water related to products and services
- 9. Minimize energy use and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by improving energy efficiency and using renewable energy
- 10. Minimize effects on the environment such as water pollution, air pollution, soil pollution, groundwater pollution, and waste generation from product manufacturing activities
- 11. Identify optimal transport distances and select appropriate transportation methods to reduce the environmental impact in the transportation phase of raw materials and products
- 12. Lead the tire industry by cooperating with business partners to proactively identify and reduce environmental impacts
- 13. Identify and minimize environmental risks by conducting due diligence in the case of mergers and acquisitions
- 14. Continuously communicate with internal and external stakeholders such as the government, employees, and suppliers to evaluate the environmental impact of business activities and reduce them