Winter tires are designed to enhance braking and handling performance on snowy and icy roads. Selection of proper tire and driving skill on snowy and icy road ensures driver’s safety.
Importance of Winter Tires
Winter tires are made with a different rubber compound that has better grip in cold weather and an optimized tread width. This difference provides extra grip, preventing the car from slipping on snowy or icy roads. Even cars equipped with four-wheel drive need winter tires.
For increased safety, be sure to change all four tires to winter tires.
Braking Distance of Winter Tires in Comparison to Summer Tires
Factors to Consider When Driving Under Wintery Roads
- Always drive with two hands on the steering wheel
- Before turning a corner, make sure to slow down
- Do not accelerate while turning a corner. In the case where you accelerate or brake abruptly, your vehicle may lose balance
- Use brakes on straight roads
- On a downhill, use the engine brake
- Refrain from switching lanes on roads with a lot of snow
- On icy roads, you need at least eight times the distance compared to a dry road keep your distance from the next vehicle in front of you