Hankook Tire Achieves Further Premium Original Equipment Approval for Summer and Winter Tires
Hankook Tire will be supplying its ultra-high performance summer tire Ventus S1 evo2 and winter tire Winter i*cept evo in runflat versions to the new BMW 7 Series as original fitment
The tires have been developed in Hankook Tire's highest R&D intensity and are supplied to BMW directly from the company's European high-end factory in Hungary
BRAMPTON, ON, March 22nd, 2016 —Hankook Tire has been selected as one of the original equipment (OE) suppliers for the all new BMW 7 Series.
The brand new luxury sedans by the Munich-based premium car manufacturer will feature Hankook tires amongst others when rolled off the factory production line. Hankook's high-end premium flagship tire Ventus S1 evo2 shall be fitted in special runflat sizes 245/50R18Y*RSC (Runflat Safety Component) alongside mixed sizes 245/45R19Y*RSC for the front and 275/40R19Y*RSC for the rear axle providing ultra-high summer performance. The tire company's ultra-high performance cold weather pattern Winter i*cept evo will be supplied in size 245/50R18H*RSC on each corner, ensuring superior winter performance is achieved.
The 7 Series Sedan is the seventh model by the BMW Group to join other models fitted with Hankook Tire including MINI, BMW 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 Series as well as the X1 and X5. This marks another important milestone in Hankook Tire's global expansion into the premium automotive segment as it is the first time the tire company is supplying both summer and winter tires to the BMW Group as original fitment.
“We are proud to announce the new OE supply contract for the new 7 Series as well as the first premium OE approval for winter tires”, says Seung Hwa Suh, Vice Chairman & CEO of Hankook Tire. “As Hankook Tire's OE products completely match the high-end standards of the luxury automobiles of our longstanding partner, we will look forward to further expanding our global presence in the premium segment by providing an array of tires for the automaker's flagship models.”
Hankook Tire's ultra-high performance snow tire Winter i*cept evo in size 245/50R*RSC has been designed to provide superior performance especially in severe winter conditions by optimizing wet, dry and snow performance. The tire's inside-to-outside asymmetric groove tread delivers a high level of stylish perfection with an enhanced pitch design that guarantees an optimal driving experience which was also recently awarded with the internationally renowned Red Dot Design Award.
As the company's flagship performance tire, Hankook Tire's high-end Ventus S1 evo<2 provides optimal driving performance both on wet and dry roads. Equipped with sophisticated DTM technology, it stands out for its successful combination of performance, durability, comfort and energy efficiency, delivering stable and accurate cornering. The tire's inside-to-outside groove design provides increased water drainage performance while dispersing friction heat. It guarantees a comfortable driving experience with reduced noise and vibration.
During the intensive trial phase, the tires provided a high level of driving comfort while maintaining distinctively dynamic driving characteristics. The tires had to meet the highest of demands in relation to dry handling performance and rolling resistance while providing low interior and exterior noise. “Excellent driving and comfort features had to be combined with equally demanding wet and snow performance. This not only required the development of a special tread compound but also finding a fundamentally new balance between compound, tread design and construction,” explains Klaus Krause, Head of the Hanover-based European Technology Centre (ETC) at Hankook Tire, where the tire development for the BMW Group in Europe takes place. “Winter tire development is even more demanding, particularly for the high development objectives of reduced noise as winter tires by nature have more block edges which generally lead to increased noise levels.”
# # #
About Hankook Tire Canada Corp.
Headquartered in Brampton, Ontario, Hankook Tire Canada Corporation is a technology-focused, customer-oriented company that markets and distributes a complete line of high performance and ultra-high performance passenger tires, light truck and SUV tires, winter tires and medium truck and bus tires in Canada. With quality-proven products, Hankook Tire Canada is rapidly growing to become an industry leader in Canada. As the National Partner and the Official Tire of Hockey Canada, Hankook Tire Canada actively supports grassroots sports and contributes back to local communities.
Visit www.hankooktire.ca for more details.
For more information please contact:
GCI Group on behalf of Hankook Tire Canada
Technical Characteristics Hankook Winter i*cept evo:
- New Silica Generation Tread Compound
– Excellent wet traction and increased snow/ice performance.
- Dual Function asymmetric Performance Tread
– The compact outside tread area provides outstanding dry and wear performance
– The inside tread part increases wet and snow performance.
- 3D Kerfs for improved snow and dry performance
– Increased block rigidity for improved handling and reduced wear.
– Relatively high block hardness to prevent unusual abrasion of the block edges.
– Kerf-Edge-effect for increasing snow performance.
Technical Characteristics Hankook Ventus S1 evo2
- DTM-derived tire contour with Multi Tread Radius for equal ground contact pressure achieved through ideal tire footprint. Significant weight reduction through application of ultra-light yet highly durable steel cord material for steel belt package: – Distinctive dynamic driving characteristics even under demanding conditions.
– Outstanding straight stability also at highest speeds.
– High level of driving comfort and low rolling noise.
– Increased performance especially in lateral hydroplaning.
- DTM-inspired triple layer block design for superior traction:
– The staircase arrangement of the outer rib blocks is designed to increase the tire contact patch with the surface as the tire wear progresses, ensuring a consistently high
traction performance throughout the tire-lifecycle.
- Latest generation mixing technologies and all new tread compound for reduced rolling resistance, dynamic handling characteristics and improved wet braking performance:
– The extension of mixing times at reduced temperatures significantly increases the bonding rate and more targeted cross linking between carbon and rubber molecules for reduced heat generation during driving thus improving handling characteristics while at the same time reducing rolling resistance, tread wear and thermal caused aging.
– A new High Styrene Polymer enhances the tire's wet braking performance as well.
- Advanced cooling system with intercoolers for improved heat regulation:
– Surface-enlarging cooling fins applied to the tire's main grooves allow for continuous heat reduction, resulting in a more stable handling performance.
– Double step dimples applied to outer block edges generate cooling micro turbulences thus reducing heat in the tire's shoulder part.
– Aerodynamically designed side wall helps to reduce noise and vibration level for increased driving comfort.
- VAI Siping System (Vehicle Alignment Indicator)
– Provides drivers an easy and convenient way to check the vehicles alignment themselves by comparing wear on the sipes of both of the tire's shoulders and realign as necessary.
– The current line-up comprises 55 dimensions from 16 to 19 inch with aspect ratios 60 to 30, covering tread widths from 205 to 305mm. The Ventus S1 evo2 is available for high powered compact cars, luxury limousines, sportive coupés /convertibles and GTs as well as high end sports cars.
* Kontrol Technology Derived from the English terms Kinetic (for movement) and Control (for control), Hankook Tire Kontrol Technology reflects the best possible controllability of the interaction between the driver, the vehicle and the road by the tires during the journey. Kontrol Technology has been developed in order to provide the vehicle driver with all currently available benefits of the latest Hankook Tire technology in terms of safety, driving characteristics, comfort and environmental compatibility.