How a tire is stored has a great impact upon the lifespan and future performance.
Improper storage methods can have a negative effect on the tire’s outer appearance and performance. It is imperative to learn and practice proper storage methods.
Tire Storage Methods and Points to Consider
Before putting the tire in storage, check for signs of abrasion and/or damage and store according to the following directions.
If Storing with the Wheel
If Storing Without the Wheel
- Before removing the tire from the car, mark where the tire was attached.
This lengthens tire life by rotating the front and back tires when you use the tires again the following year.
- Wash the wheel and tirethoroughly with water. Once cleaning is finished, dry them to prevent decay.
- Remove dust and rocks from inside the tires grooves.
- If the tires are assembled with rims, stack them for storing. If the tires are not assembled with rims, stand them up when storing.
- Store tires in a cool place that avoids direct sunlight. Do not store tires in close proximity/next to fuel, oil, or other chemical substances.