How a tyre is stored has a great impact upon the lifespan and future performance.
Improper storage methods can have a negative effect on the tyre’s outer appearance and performance. It is imperative to learn and practice proper storage methods.
Tyre Storage Methods and Points to Consider
Before putting the tyre in storage, check for signs of abrasion and/or damage and store according to the following directions.
If Storing with the Wheel
If Storing Without the Wheel
- Before removing the tyre from the car, mark where the tyre was attached.
This lengthens tyre life by rotating the front and back tyres when you use the tyres again the following year.
- Wash the wheel and tyre thoroughly with water. Once cleaning is finished, dry them to prevent decay.
- Remove dust and rocks from inside the tyres grooves.
- If the tyres are assembled with rims, stack them for storing. If the tyres are not assembled with rims, stand them up when storing.
- Store tyres in a cool place that avoids direct sunlight. Do not store tyres in close proximity/next to fuel, oil, or other chemical substances.