Health & Safety
The health and safety of our employees is of the utmost importance and drives the competitiveness of the company. At Hankook Tire, we have taken substantial steps to foster a safe and healthy environment for all employees and have achieved clear results.
A series of recent safety, health and disaster related accidents have sparked social attention to health and safety of employees. This means that it is even more critical to remain focused and do our utmost to protect the health of our employees and prevent them from being involved in any accident.
Risk & Opportunity
Failure to ensure safety in workplace may seriously jeopardize human resources, the greatest asset to any company. Therefore, it is essential to build a corporate culture where employee health and safety comes first and to make continuous improvements to prevent accidents, which will ensure safe workplace and productivity enhancement.
Future Plans and Outlook
We will be proactive in improving working environment and removing risk factors with a sense of responsibility for creating a safe and enjoyable workplace for all our employees. We will also run diverse programs to raise employees’ awareness of safety and build a voluntary safety and health management mechanism.
Progress of Health and safety
Hankook Tire’s declaration on environmentally-friendly business management, management responsibility and governance
Hankook Tire stands behind the belief that the health and safety of its employees is a key CSR component and the fundamental driving force behind its sustainable growth. Thus, we are committed to creating a safe and enjoyable workplace for all employees based on our management philosophy that places employee health and safety before anything else.
Management Responsibility and Governance
- • Chaired by: Daejeon Plant Managing Director
- • Supervised by: DP) Environment & Safety Team
- • Members: KP) Environment & Safety Team, Machinery Engineering Team 3, DP) KP) Facility Maintenance Team, Material Research Team 2, R&D Corporate Management Team, CSR Team
An interview with a health and safety advisor
Jung, Kyoung-sook (Community Chest of Korea, Resource Development Division)
It was through the free tire replacement support project ‘Driving Happy Together’ that we at the Community Chest of Korea first established our relationship with Hankook Tire. We joined forces in planning social giving programs that reflect Hankook Tire’s unique business characteristics. In 2014, we jointly initiated the ‘Driver License Support’ project to help underprivileged women gain economic independance and the ‘Creation of a Safer Traffic Environment for Children’ project in five areas. In consideration of Hankook Tire’s capability to contribute to our society, we focused on the independence of women and the safety of children in planning differentiated social giving projects. The ‘Creation of a Safer Traffic Environment for Children’ is unique in that is aims to improve school commuting conditions for children, an area that has not been fully explored but is in need of philanthropic commitment. While traffic accidents involving children occur frequently and traffic safety along school commuting routes is of paramount concern, children’s traffic safety has not been taken seriously as a top priority in improving community environments. Through Hankook Tire’s philanthropic commitment to children’s traffic safety, our children will be able to go to school and come home safely. Specifically, this new program is unique in that it encourages children to think about safety issues along their routes to school and present solutions of their own. The creation of this social giving program, which will generate tremendous benefits for local communities, is attributed to the deep-rooted partnership between Hankook Tire and the Commmunity Chest of Korea. It is my sincere hope that we each design diverse philanthropic programs that contribute to our society based on our positive partnership.
2015 major achievements and accomplishments
Integrated Environmental Management System
2015 Achievements● Completed ◐ Partially Completed ○ Not Completed
2015 Achievements Code Key Managerial Issues Goals Achievements Completion HS1 Establishment of Voluntary Safety Management System Develop survey questionnaires on safety awareness and perform surveys
- Interviewed employees joined since 2010
- Offered trainings for safety awareness enhancement to employees joined since 2010
● Operate the quantitative assessment system for safety accident prevention activities
- Evaluated the levels of safety and health
● HS2 Enhancement of Employee Health Management Establish musculoskeletal disease prevention programs
- Operated musculoskeletal system rehabilitation programs
- Launched a TFT for mitigating musculoskeletal impacts
● Operate programs to address health hazard factors related to night work (gastroenteric disorders, sleep disorders, obesity)
- Operated programs to address health hazard factors related to night work
- Promoted interviews with occupational safety and health professionals and evaluated job suitability
● Reduce potential health hazards in workplace (PM (Particle Matter)-10, rubber fume)
- Improved local ventilation systems
- Installed diesel particulate filters on forklifts
● HS3 Development of Fire Safety System Adopt the global standards on fire safety and management
- Adopted fire safety management standards (14 items)
● Improve fire-fighting facilities (invest KRW 16.1 billion)
- Invested in improving fire-fighting facilities (KRW 5 billion)
◐* Nurture fire-fighting experts (hire 8 new employees for disaster prevention and conduct trainings for all members)
- Hired 8 new employees for disaster prevention
- Conducted trainings on fire safety management
- * Plan for continuous investments in improving fire-fighting facilities in 2016
2016 plans and relevant office
2016 Plans Code Key Managerial Issues Commitments Key Index Deadline Team in Charge HS1 Establishment of Voluntary Safety Management System Build a system to regularly monitor the compliance activities Safety awareness level Dec. DP) KP) Environment & Safety Team Promote the acquisition of emergency medical technician certificate Acquisition rate Dec. DP) KP) Environment & Safety Team Revise emergency response scenarios and expand the scope of trainings Operation of such system Dec. DP) KP) Environment & Safety Team HS2 Enhancement of Employee Health Management Revamp facilities that put strain on musculoskeletal system Establishment of such system Dec. DP) KP) Environment & Safety Team Operate health improvement programs to manage metabolic syndrome Operation of such system Nov. DP) KP) Environment & Safety Team Improve working environment (local ventilation facilities, noise generation process) Improvement rate Oct. DP) KP) Environment & Safety Team HS3 Development of Fire Safety System Continuously invest in the advancement of fire safety system Execution rate Dec. Machinery Engineering Team 3 Enact global fire safety regulations Consultation on enactment Jul. Machinery Engineering Team 3 Diagnose fire safety system at the global level and enhance technical support systems Diagnosis report Oct. Machinery Engineering Team 3 HS4 Establishment of Business Continuity Management Systems (BCMS) Establish ISO22301 system at Daejeon and Geumsan Plant and acquire the certification Acquisition of the certification Oct. DP) KP) Production Management Team, CSR Team